Sharing exciting news about the STAR TREK campaign I am working on with Picture Production Company: Experience The Enterprise.
From the official press release:
To promote the international release of STAR TREK on May 8th, Paramount Pictures International (PPI) is today launching ‘Experience The Enterprise’; a groundbreaking augmented reality (AR) application placing a 3D interactive version of the Starship Enterprise in the palm of your hand.
Visitors to http://www.experience-the-enterprise.com will be given the opportunity to take an extensive five minute tour of the Enterprise, including testing the ship’s weapons systems, impulse engines and warp drive.
‘Experience The Enterprise’ is built using augmented reality (AR) technology, which combines real world and computer-generated data to bring a 3D interactive version of the Starship Enterprise to life, on your desktop or in your hand.
Anybody with a webcam can take a tour of the Enterprise using the kind of futuristic technology that sits at the heart of perhaps the most popular science-fiction franchise of all time.
This is the first time AR has been used to bring a major film release to life in this way. The application itself was constructed using the original 3D model of the Enterprise appearing in the film, as well as featuring an array of special effects direct from the production. It was developed for PPI by creative marketing agency Picture Production Company (PPC), working in conjunction with augmented reality specialists Total Immersion.
From Dan Light, Head of PPC Interactive:
We’ve been looking at augmented reality for a while, thinking we could do something cool with it.
So we made this:
You can take the ride at www.experience-the-enterprise.com. If The New Frontiersman was the most creatively ambitious project we’ve yet attempted, this was the most technically outrageous. 2009 is turning into quite a year.
Major kudos to Annie Ok for calling the augmented reality thing a good few months back. She’s turning out to be the kind of muse/guru no creative marketing agency should be without.
Likewise to the guys at PPC who put this together. Our first instincts on how to use this technology seem to have been the right ones, and we’re pretty excited about trying some new stuff with our next AR gig, which happens to be just around the corner.
Sincere appreciation to Dan for his kind words and the crew at PPC for producing yet another kickass project.
- Gizmodo: “Augmented Reality App Puts a 3D Starship Enterprise In The Palm Of Your Hand”
- /Film: “Must See: Augment Reality With New Star Trek Website”
- TrekMovie.com: “New Star Trek Site: Experience The Enterprise”
- Singularity Hub: “Where No Augmented Reality Has Gone Before!”
- Total Immersion: “The Future Begins with Paramount’s Augmented Reality Star Trek Experience”
- ABC News: “Use a webcam to project 3D images”
- GeekTyrant: “Take a Tour of the U.S.S. Enterprise using STAR TREK Augmented Reality”
- Kzero: “Augmented Reality video round-up”
- AugmentedPlanet: “Augmented Reality Star Trek Demos”
- VizWorld: “Star Trek Enterprise in Augmented Reality”
- Geek.com: “Tour the new Star Trek Enterprise with augmented reality”
- Not Just Reality: “Experience The (Augmented) Enterprise”
- JasonTheodor.com: “Engaged. Kids Love Augmented Reality.”
On April 20th, STAR TREK director JJ Abrams and stars Chris Pine (“Kirk”) and Zachary Quinto (“Spock”) visited Sony PlayStation® Home for an exclusive Q&A with select press and bloggers from around the world. The event was broadcast live via Ustream with interactive chat via CoveritLive at www.startrekfankit.com/playstationhome.
I am working on the STAR TREK campaign with Picture Production Company who produced this machinima featuring some of the highlights from the Q&A. My pics of the event can be viewed below.
Zachary Quinto, JJ Abrams, Annie Ok, Dan Light (moderator), and kingthom.
Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, JJ Abrams, and Dan Light (moderator).
Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, JJ Abrams, Dan Light (moderator), and kingthom.
Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, JJ Abrams, and Dan Light (moderator).
The Q&A starts to draw to a close and guests rise from their seats.
The Q&A guests start to break out in spontaneous dancing.
The Q&A guests enjoy the spontaneous dance party.
The spontaneous dance party winds down after the filmmakers depart.
Post-Q&A roundtable with press and bloggers.
Sharing news about the STAR TREK campaign I am working on with Picture Production Company: STAR TREK in Sony PlayStation Home.
From PPC Silverscreen:
At 4pm (BST / GMT+1) on April 20th, director J.J. Abrams and stars Chris ‘Kirk’ Pine and Zachary ‘Spock’ Quinto will visit Home for an exclusive Q&A with selected press and bloggers from around the world. Following the Q&A, the invited guests will be able to take part in a virtual roundtable within Home, to discuss the movie and answer questions put forward by fans and fellow bloggers through Twitter, uStream and CoverItLive. Both events will be streamed live across the web through an embeddable video player available at http://www.startrekfankit.com/playstationhome.
The Q&A is part of a number of unique opportunities in Home (SCEE only) ahead of the global release of STAR TREK on May 8th. From today, Home residents will be able to view an exclusive video greeting from Abrams alongside the latest STAR TREK trailer in the Home Theatre. A selection of virtual STAR TREK merchandise e.g. Starfleet Uniforms and T-Shirts, will be available for free in the Threads Store from April 23rd, alongside details of a unique ‘Star Trek in Home Avatar competition’ and the ‘Star Trek Party (in Home)’ where attendees will have the chance to grab some exclusive merchandise and prizes.
- Ain’t It Cool News: “Virtual Press Conference with JJ Abrams, Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto happening in the morning! You can watch live!”
- Kotaku”: “Star Trek Boldly Goes To PlayStation Home”
- Joystiq: “Star Trek boldly goes Home”
- SCI FI Wire: “PlayStation Home avatars can enlist in Starfleet—or at least wear the uniform”
- Amazon Game Room’s Blog: “Star Trek Uniforms Beam into PlayStation Home on April 23”
- TrekMovie: “JJ Abrams and Chris Pine Coming to Playstation Home”
- MoviesOnline: “Star Trek Boldly Goes to PlayStation Land”
- 1UP: “Star Trek Coming To PlayStation Home (In Europe)”
- VG247: “Star Trek comes to PlayStation Home”
- TrekWeb: “Paramount and Sony Bring Star Trek to PlayStation Home with Abrams and Cast Q&A”
- PlayStationLifeStyle: “Star Trek Beams Into PlayStation Home”
- TheSixthAxis: “Star Trek Beaming Onto PSN”
- JeuxVideo: “Star Trek se téléporte sur le Home”
- screenWEEK: “Star Trek: fate una domanda a J.J. Abrams, Chris Pine e Zachary Quinto!”
- SciFi Pulse: “Star Trek Beams To Playstation Home”
- Kotaku: “Hangin’ In PlayStation Home With The Star Trek Crew – Star trek d.a.c.”
- Eurogamer: “Star Trek movie stuff in PS Home today”
- Kotaku: “Home’s Virtual Star Trek Contest Wins You Virtual Star Trek Stuff”
- Joystiq: “Create a look-a-like Home avatar and win Star Trek furniture”